Monday, August 18, 2008

The Omnivores Hundred

This is such a blog thing to do, but I could not pass it up. I figure that amongst the expat community there is a greater chance that we have eaten all the things on this list - I mean, what better reason to travel than to try all the interesting, weird, new foods out there?

I read about this first on one of my favorite cooking blogs, Chocolate & Zucchini. Here's the deal as quoted from Clotilde, since she wrote it so eliquently:

"The Omnivore's Hundred
is an eclectic and entirely subjective list of 100 items that Andrew Wheeler, co-author of the British food blog Very Good Taste, thinks every omnivore should try at least once in his/her life. He offered this list as the starting point for a game, along the following rules:"

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.

In this instance, I have copied Clotilde's style and gone with the icons. Check out her post, too, for great links to definitions of some of the odder ones:

= I have eaten it!
= I have NOT.

1. Venison - yup, with cranberries during my study abroad in Germany. Yum!
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros - thank you Houston. It is the one good thing you have - Tex Mex.
4. Steak tartare - wedding anniversary, Italian restaurant in the North End - very popular in Germany and Switzerland now, too
5. Crocodile -I think I have had crocodile and alligator. Tastes like chicken.
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue - Um... this is Swisstory if you are lost.
8. Carp - I think so. I ate some weird stuff in China.
9. Borscht - but I recently had a beet martini, does that count? Thanks, Explorica Christmas party!
10. Baba ghanoush - in Boston... at the restaurant next to the Middle East in Cambridge. Yum.
11. Calamari - Jace's favorite.
12. Pho - Ah, remember the days, Ben? If not, we used to eat weekly at Pho Pasteur in Boston. Remember me? I used to work with you... nevermind. ;)
13. PB&J sandwich - Um, I am American. And I like it crunchy!
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart - New York with Jace, but it was no papaya dog. I long for you still.
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle - have had truffles, but no idea what color.
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - plum wine, yum!
19. Steamed pork buns - Again, can you say I lived off them in China for 8 weeks? Oh and they are Sarah's favorite when we eat dim sum. ;)
20. Pistachio ice cream - thanks, Nate, for introducing me to this in Venice
21. Heirloom tomatoes - grew up on a farm, and also went to the farmer's markets in Boston
22. Fresh wild berries - see 21. Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries - oh my!
23. Foie gras - Montreal 2007... thanks, Louise!
24. Rice and beans - Houston, and Ghana... Red Red. Yum.
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper - not interested.
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters - Boston and Australia. Yum.
29. Baklava - yes, yessss, YESSSS!
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas - Thanks to Grant at iiNet. He brought these babies to work once.
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl - Um. Boston. Need I say more?
33. Salted lassi - I have done the mango, but not the salted. I am intrigued.
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar - I would never do the cigar. Jace would though. I will let him have it.
37. Clotted cream tea - Thanks, Val. I believe we have seen a few scones with tea in my time with you. ;)
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O - I was in a sorority. Nuf said.
39. Gumbo - Down South. Yum.
40. Oxtail - Had this with Uncle Andrew, and some cow's tongue.
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects - Yes, in China I had grasshoppers and silk worms (they taste like peanuts). If you get me a bit tipsy in the Outback I have been known to show people how to roast and eat grasshoppers... or was that a dream?
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu (Pufferfish)- South Korea... I would probably not do it again though. I am only a one time risk taker... but that is all it takes I guess!
47. Chicken tikka masala - Yum.
48. Eel - Sushi
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh (said like Homer does it).... Krispy Kreme... in college, I would allow myself two (Oh, God, I know they are like 5235 calories each) glazed chocolates on a Sunday... and I seriously considered importing them from Sydney, remember, Rach? You could bring back 2 boxes on the plane! :)
50. Sea urchin - S. Korea
51. Prickly pear - I probably had this in Mexico, as we saw how tequila was made, but I cannot recal
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone - Australia
54. Paneer - Lots of Indian dishes include this, right? Looks familiar. I say yes.
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal - Amanda, remember - wo chez?
56. Spaetzle - Again, this is Swisstory... but I hadn't had them before 5 months ago!
57. Dirty gin martini - sorry ladies, but that one if for you!
58. Beer above 8% ABV - Sure
59. Poutine - Montreal twice.... thanks to Val and Louise for humoring me!
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores - In Girl Scouts. Nuf said.
62. Sweetbreads - This is not what you think. Thank goodness I looked it up.
63. Kaolin - I have tasted my clay mask a few times... does that count?
64. Currywurst - In Frankfurt a few weeks ago... it was delish!
65. Durian - I have seen this in Singapore and even in Australia, but the stories of the smell keep me from trying it.
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - numerous carnivals and great beignets in Houston!
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain - Ghana... Houston...
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini - thank you for the invention of the canape
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu - South Korea... lots of Korean stuff on the list!
77. Hostess Fruit Pie - Sure. I grew up in the 80's... who didn't have a twinkie and a pie?
78. Snail - Thanks, Jace! Anything smothered in butter and garlic is yummy though, am I right, or am I right?
79. Lapsang souchong - this has to be that gunpowder tasting tea I had!
80. Bellini - I made Jace and his Mum travel far and wide for a peach bellini at Harry's in Rome, and it was WORTH IT!
81. Tom yum - ahh... I miss Boston's China Town.
82. Eggs Benedict - Dad's favorite.
83. Pocky - South Korea!
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant- definately on my list!
85. Kobe beef - South Korea!
86. Hare - No joke, they had this in the cafeteria at work the other day with ostrich too (!) and I tried it... not bad.
87. Goulash - just the other day. Thanks again! Yum!
88. Flowers - the day after the goulash we had them on our roulade and in our Nachtisch!
89. Horse - I showed this to Nate in the meat department at Migros when he was here... not sure if I could eat our long time family pet though... I wouldn't eat cats or dogs... why horse?
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam - I am sure I have, but I can't recall... so no.
92. Soft shell crab- Savannah
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfisih
95. Mole poblano - Spanish Class.
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake

67 for me... Not too bad at all!

Unlike Clotilde, I would try it all at least one - except maybe the chili. I would rather keep my tastebuds.

My question though - the one I know Jace would ask - where is the Vegemite?!?! ;)

What do you think is missing!? And if you do the list, please post a link to it in the comments so I can check it out! Can't wait!

Also, if you have had something I haven't, comment! I would love to finish the list with Swisstory readers. ;)

4 comments:

jazibe said...

Prickly pear is the little red or green fruit from the cactus (nopal), not related to agave.... They had some at the market the other day, peel them, eat them cold, sliced like fruit.
Have you had "Menudo"? how about "tacos de cabeza"?

Jessica said...

Jazibe, thanks for the tip. I have not had that then! I will have to try it as it sounds very interesting.

Menudo and tacos de cabeza, eh? Are those head tacos!?!? I do not think I have had those either. Please explain!

PFlight2000 said...

Expensive Scotch single malt Whisky - well, I have a bottle at home. bought it when I lived in Edinburgh for some time. Though not really worth the money - you don't have to. :)

Anonymous said...

I can claim the frog legs (they don't really taste like chicken), Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee (it's good, but I prefer Turkish coffees) and the SPAM (oddly, I love this stuff, fried crispy and on very fresh white bread -- which I otherwise never eat).

But where is the Raclette?

 

Contact me. | Advertise on Swisstory