Thursday, March 5, 2009

Put it in your belly: Magenbrot

While at the Fasnacht in Zurich last weekend, I ran across a confectionery that is from Urdorf, and when I saw the familiar pink bag, I just had to stop and grab a treat for the train ride home. Alas, let me introduce you to a delicious street vendor treat, available at almost every chilbi, holiday, or outdoor event - please say hello to the humble Magenbrot.

Now, prior to looking this gem up on Wiki, I could not understand the name because this is not Brot (bread) nor does it have anything to do with your Magen (stomach) - besides perhaps expanding it, as a fine colleague of mine said. So I had no idea why it was called Magenbrot.

Then comes the Wiki definition and it is all intreagingly clear. Translated from the Wiki entry for Magenbrot:

"Magenbrot contains 'stomach friendly' (hence the name) spices such as Cinnamon, Star Annis, Muskat and something called Gewürznelken in German. The dark brown color is due to cocoa and the sweetness was previously from honey but today sugar is used. Magenbrot is a specialty from Switzerland, where it was earlier called "Kräuterbrot" (herb bread), before it was jazzed up with chocolate."
These little nuggets of dense, chocolaty, gingerbread like cake are absolutely delicious. I highly recommend that you buy a bag, go for the 500 grams you risk taker you, you only live once, and enjoy them thoroughly. I know I do and will for some time to come.

7 comments:

JuanitaTortilla said...

Mmm... I like the sound of chocolate-y spiced cookies...

My goodness, look at all that confetti on the floor!!!

Anonymous said...

Gewürznelken=cloves

Anonymous said...

I have tried Magenbrot only once before - and can't say they were the best thing i'd ever had. But after reading your post, i am strangely craving another taste... your description sounds a whole lot better than my vague taste memory. When's the next holiday here?! We're never far from the next event or happening, that's for sure... my Magen is happy about that! :)

Unknown said...

Oh those do look like something fun to try! I'm amazed I never did while I was living in Switzerland.

Jessica said...

You know, I didn't like these the first time I tried them either, but the second time they were heaven. Perhaps it has to do with where you buy them, as certainly all confectioners are a bit different. I like the dense, chocolaty ones, and I usually eat the bag alone... Jace does not like them. But I can live with that. More for me!

Unknown said...

@Jessica
You might like to know that 'Nelken' are Cloves ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloves
Greets
Rob

Kylie said...

Hmmm....I shall have to write the name down - the other day i walked past a vendor and thought...'what was the name of those things she said were good....??' so next time i am better prepared!

 

Contact me. | Advertise on Swisstory