Thursday, November 12, 2009

Flammkuchen = gastronomic heaven


Are you hungry? I hope not, because I am REALLY hungry now after looking at these photos of the Flammkuchen we had for lunch in Colmar, France... they are not helping AT ALL. Yummy, yummy, yummy. Let me explain what these are if this is your first do-si-do with the Flammkuchen.

Flammkuchen (or flammekuche in Alsace or sometimes called tarte flambée in French) are, as described most wonderfully by Wikipedia: '...one of the most famous gastronomical specialties of the (Alsace) region' but you can find them in Switzerland, too. For example, I have had them in Lucerne before.

These thin bread pizzas are traditionally served with a topping of crème fraîche, onions and bacon. And I have to tell you, this traditional combination is the most wonderful - add some mushrooms, like mine below, and lit is gastronomic heaven. Jace's was also nice - had chorizo on it as well as the standard base... but honestly, mine was SO MUCH BETTER! :)

This is one of those dishes in which each time we eat it, we promise ourselves that we should eat it more often, or make it at home! I would recommend you do the same - it is a delicious lunch or dinner, freshly baked in a wood fired oven most often, quickly served which is great if you are ravenous like we were that day, and light enough that you have room for a pastry afterwards - which is important if you also happen to be in Colmar!


If you are not in an area where you can walk down the street and order up one of these babies, try out these recipes - in German. I am sure there are also some in English or please share your own in the comments. YUM! ENJOY!

Flammküchen Recipes from Saison Kuche:
---
Tweet-tweet. I am now on Twitter. Follow me!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Wirtschaft zur Schtund on Augustinerstrasse has these nifty flatbreads. It's a tiny little place. I'm not sure if they have the traditional one... I had no idea where they originated when I stumbled in there. Glad to know they're from Alsace.

Deborah said...

These are our absolute favorites! For those expats that have a hard time still getting through a menu written in German, these Flammkuchen are a solid choice.

Susan said...

I LOVE Flammkuchen! We had ours in Colmar, in the summer - outside by the canals (Little Venice) - it was a wonderful evening.

 

Contact me. | Advertise on Swisstory